Recent Horticulture Articles
Interested in learning proper pruning techniques?
- Pruning Workshops — Offered each March. Workshop includes an indoor presentation on pruning techniques and tools followed by an outdoor, hands-on pruning component where participants are given an opportunity to practice what they’ve learned. Registration required – print off flyer here: Pruning Workshop Information and Registration Form 2014.
Become a Master Composter!
- The goal of the Master Composter (MC) program is to empower local composters to organize and teach home composting workshops and offer compost demonstrations in their communities. This workshop is held every year at locations throughout the state of Wisconsin. Questions regarding the Master Composter Program can be directed to Joe Van Rossum at firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to garden but don’t have the space or the sun in your own yard?
- Rental Garden Program – UW-Extension manages a 1 ½ acre garden located just east of the intersection of Northview Road and Grandview Boulevard in the city of Waukesha on County grounds. Garden plots are available for rental on a yearly basis to Waukesha County residents. Garden plot sizes are 20′ by 20′ and 30′ by 30′. There is a waiting list for plot rental. To be placed on the waiting list, contact Christa at email@example.com or 262-548-7775. For more information, checkout our Community Garden Webpage.
Have a yard or garden question?
- Horticulture Helpline 262-548-7779 — A free phone service for callers to speak with a trained Master Gardener volunteer regarding plant, bug or soil questions. Our telephone hours for the Horticulture Helpline are Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to noon. Winter hours are limited. You can also e-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org – include a phone number where you can be reached between the hours of 9 a.m. to noon and allow 7 days for a response before e-mailing again.
Need Help diagnosing Plant Problems?
Let UW-Extension Horticulture Educators identify your outdoor and indoor plant samples and indoor plant insects! Bring your plant sample or indoor plant insect to the UW-Extenstion office during regular business hours of 8 am and 4:30 pm. This service is available to the general public.
- To be sure that you have a “good sample” please call the Horticulture Helpline (262-548-7779) between 9 am and noon (Tuesday through Thursday) for details. You can also e-mail questions to email@example.com – include a phone number where you can be reached.
- Diagnostics take up to 7 days and there is a $4 charge per sample.
- Plant Identification (1 page, 9 KB)
- Horticulture Diagnostic Services Flyer (2 page, 71 KB)
Want to be trained as a Master Gardener?
- Master Gardener Volunteer Program — Waukesha County teams up with Milwaukee County to provide education, training, and volunteer opportunities for those who want to become a Master Gardener. Master Gardeners volunteer time to gardening opportunities and projects in return for receiving horticultural training. For more information, visit the SouthEast Wisconsin Master Gardeners website at http://fyi.uwex.edu/sewmg The SouthEast Wisconsin Master Gardeners includes both Waukesha County and Milwaukee County residents.
Interested in youth or community gardening?
- Youth/Community Gardens — Looking for resources or guidance on starting a youth or community garden? We can help. See links below and/or give us a call.
Links of Interest
- UW-Extension – People + Plants: How to Grow a Community Garden
- UW-Extension Wisconsin Horticulture
- Southeast Wisconsin Master Gardener Program
- UW-Extension Horticultural Publications
- UW-Department of Entomology Insect Diagnostic Lab
- UW-Landscape Plants of the Upper Midwest
- UW-Extension Horticultural Publications
- FEEDS – Food and Ecosystem Educational Demonostration Sites
- American Community Gardening Association
If you have any questions regarding Consumer Horticulture in Waukesha County, please contact Ann Wied who serves as an informational resource to the residents of Waukesha County.
Ann Wied, Consumer Horticulture Educator
Waukesha County UW-Extension
515 W Moreland Blvd., AC-G22
Waukesha, WI 53188-3869
Office Hours: M-F, 8 AM – 4:30 PM